My friend's aquaponic system has been taken over by his mint. The
result was inheriting an extremely large bag of this fragrant stuff. The
smell of mint makes me smile. I think of clean, and cool, and childhood
(mint chocolate chip ice cream was one of my fav.'s). Mint takes me to a
Cake also takes me to a happy place. So when I was thinking what on earth I was going to do with all this mint I drew a natural conclusion. Mint cake. And what pairs better with mint than lemon?
It's different, it's refreshing, it's yummo.
Fresh Mint Cake Recipe
- 3 eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar and stevia (C&H), divided. Double if you're using sugar.
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4-1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- Preheat oven to 350F. Oil and flour an 8-inch round cake pan.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites to soft peaks. Add 1/4 cup sugar-stevia, beat till you have stiff peaks.
- Blend the mint and water in a food processor/blender till smooth.
- In a separate large bowl, beat the vegetable oil, the remaining 1/4 cup sugar-stevia and salt. Add the egg yolks 1 at a time. Add the mint and water mixture. Add the flour and mix until just combined. Set aside.
- Slowly add 1/2 of the egg white mixture into the oil mixture. Using a rubber spatula, carefully fold (not beat/whip/smoosh- there's no baking powder in this people!) in the remaining egg white mixture. It doesn't need to be fully incorporated, you don't want to lose the air.
- Spread the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 40 to 45 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Transfer the cake to a cutting board and allow to cool before slicing.
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Using an electric mixter, combine cream cheese, butter, 1 cup confectioners' sugar, and lemon juice in a large bowl and process till smooth.
- Slowly keep adding sugar till thickened and frosting consistency.
The statements made on this blog are not approved by the FDA. There may be a better flavor combination in nature. Rainbows and gumdrops appearing are directly dependent in your own abiliity of manifestation.