|Ignore the burniness at the top, it's all about flavor...and learning|
When I first made this pie I made the mistake of leaving it with my Dad and sister. I was only gone a couple hours but when I got home more than half the pie was in their bellies.
It is by no means healthy, but it's the holidays so who cares? Wait, pumpkin's healthy, right? Grasping at straws here people...
You could make the pumpkin puree and gingerbread from scratch but poo on that. I'm lazy today so let's go with box mixes, cans, and all that modern day cancer comfort. You'll just have to ask for extra blessings before putting it in your mouth.
Gingerbread Pie Shell Recipe
Ingredients for the crust
- 1 box gingerbread mix
- 2 tbs unbleached flour
- 2 tbs melted butter
- Prepare as cookies, as directed on the box (stop the prep after refrigeration)
- After cooling in the refrigerator break into 2 even balls and roll one out as you would a pie crust on a floured board or pan to 1/4" thick
- Flour the top and roll it loosely. Line it up with a 9" pie tin and unroll it, pressing down and making sure there are no spaces between the shell and the tin. Cut the dough hanging off the edges
- Use the extra dough for the top of the pie, another pie crust, or use the rest for some yummy gingerbread men you can bite the heads off of
Eggnog Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Ingredients for the filling
- 1 prepared pie crust
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup eggnog
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Beat the eggs then add all the other ingredients (except the pie crust, of course)
- Mix till everything is smooth and incorporated
- Pour into unbaked pie crust (there will be extra batter) and place on top of a cookie tray to catch any drips (if any)
- Use the extra gingerbread to make the top of your pie (optional). Roll out the rest of the gingerbread dough, like you did the pie crust. In the middle of the crust, cut a cute shape (like a tree) or use whatever cookie cutter(s) you have. Loosely roll the crust up, center the design over the top of the cake and lay it there. Unroll to the edges slowly. Cut off the excess dough and crimp the edges with a fork
- Put in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Lower the heat to 350F and bake for another 40-50 minutes or until the filling if cooked through and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean
This was the first time I made it with a crust over the top. Maybe next time I'll bake it covered with foil for the first 30 minutes of so.