|Look at all that nutrition ready to course through your veins|
But how do you compact all that green goodness into a tasty meal that even your 2 year old will eat? While I was at the Waianae Farmers Market I came across a sample of a kale soup they were handing out the recipe for. By far, this recipe has been the best piece of paper anyone has ever handed me in a public place. And now I will share my version with you.
Kale and Garbanzo Bean Soup Recipe
- 1/2 lb kale
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small onion- chopped
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 2 gloves garlic
- Dash of nutmeg
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tbs butter
- 1 large potato (or 2 small ones)- peeled and cubed
- 14 oz can garbanzo beans- rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 6 oz left over meat (original recipe is sausage- casing removed, diced)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Wash kale; remove center ribs and discard. Finely chop leaves and set aside.
- Heat soup pot over medium heat and saute onion and garlic in the butter until translucent.
- Add potato, chicken broth, water, bay leaf, thyme, nutmeg, and sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat.
- Stir in kale, garbanzo beans, and meat (sausage). Simmer until kale and potato are tender, remove bay leaf, season with salt and pepper.
Feel free to gorge yourself. I actually have to cut my daughter off for fear of her gut ripping.