Mama's lil baby love's shortnin, shortnin
Mama's lil baby love's shortnin bread
I've sang this song (alright, not the song, just those 2 lines) to my baby girl on more than one occasion but I never knew just what Shortnin Bread is. So after starting to sing this jaunty little tune one day I stopped and wondered, "Does Mama's lil baby love shortnin bread?"
Then I went looking on the internet for some background on what sounds like good eats. There are several different recipes some using sugar, others molasses. Is it a cake? Is it a tea cookie? I wasn't able to come to a decision as to what an authentic shortnin bread recipe is.
What do you do when you have no idea how to make something "authentic"? You make your own unauthentic version. And with that, I took a bit of everything and went to town.
Mama's Adapted Shortnin Bread Recipe:
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Grease and flour a 8" cake pan pan (or in a skillet. I wish I had one!)
- Beat the egg and add to the milk in a small bowl
- In a large bowl mix together flour, baking soda, and cinnamon
- Heat honey, sugar, and butter stirring frequently in a saucepan till boiling, then let it bubble on its own for a smidge
- Stir honey mixture into flour mixture then add the milk mixture till fully incorporated
- Dump it into prepped pan and bake for 25-30 minutes
Does baby love Mama's shortnin bread?
You tell me.