New Years resolutions never really seem to work with me. Every year my resolutions always revolve around food or health. A couple years ago it was to be full vegetarian but then Thanksgiving rolled around (who can say no to free-range turkey?). Last year I was going to go back to giving up mammal meat again. That went out the door before the end of the month. But this time I'm feeling confident because I have Siah on-board.
This year we both plan on:
Having meatless Mondays
Grain-free weekdays (we're not considering quinoa a grain)
I'm sure that having a partner will be the key to success this year, as well as moderation. Slowly but surely we're moving on to a healthier lifestyle. Tonight was part of that process.
For our first Meatless Monday night I made a vegetarian bubble and squeak. I adapted it from vegetarian and vegetable cooking by Christine Ingram. It's easy, it's cheesy, it's fast (sense a theme, no?). Filled with spinach to give a nutritional boost and cheese for protein, it's a rounded meal.
Easy Cheese Bubble & Squeak Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups boxed mashed potatoes (dehydrated)
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup chopped spinach (thawed and drained)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp celery salt
- Pepper to taste
- Oil for pan frying
- Sour cream to garnish
- In a large mixing bowl add dehydrated potatoes, cheddar cheese, celery salt, pepper, and spinach. Mix it up
- Make a well in the middle of the mix and add ricotta. Mix the egg into the milk and pour a little over the ricotta, mixing to loosen it up. Slowly incorporate the milk mixture while stirring everything together
- When everything is even the mix should resemble a dough. Separate into 6 equal pieces. Roll into balls and flatten with your hand; should resemble a hamburger patty
- Heat a slight amount of oil in a pan and fry the patties till golden and crispy, flip and do the same to the other side
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream