After a long night tossing and turning I could barely drag myself out of bed. I got the idea to make these pancakes to give myself (and family) a nutritional boost that would fill our stomachs and get us going. These are gluten free and could probably be made without the egg (let me know if anyone experiments).
This recipe reminds me of baked oatmeal. It's slightly sweet with spice undertones so it will pair well with your topping of choice.
- 1 finely grated carrot (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 can coconut cream
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon extract
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the oats, sugar, salt, baking powder, and cloves. Stir in the carrot till batter is even.
- Mix the cinnamon extract into the coconut cream and add beaten egg. Pour into the dry ingredients and mix till everything is incorporated.
- Let sit for a minute or 2 to let mixture absorb liquid
- In a hot, greased pan spread a couple large spoonfuls into a circular shape and flip when the bottom is golden and crispy. The mixture is very moist so don't be afraid of burning it. You want to give these a little extra time to crisp up (or not, depends on what texture you're into).
- Serve garnished with jam and/or powdered sugar
Now that I'm feeling more alive than dead I can go out and do stuff. Yay.