As it gets closer to the wedding it also gets busier, crazier, and more stressful. With everything that has been going on blogging has been put on the back-burner. I do enjoy it so I will try to do what I can in my free time. Starting...now
Today was the 2nd day of the Buffalo's Surf Competition. Siah's family has been competing in several categories and today he joined in the Supsquatch category. For those of you not yet aware of what a supsquatch is don't be embarrassed, it's fairly new. It's a giant inflatable raft. In the competition your heat needs 5 people, four of which use canoe paddles, while one (Siah) acts as the rudder.
Long story short, Siah's team kicked butt and now they're in the semifinals. Yay! This means more competing tomorrow. And more beach, more sun, more tired. Being so freakin' white, I can only handle so much beach (even under a tent). So today when I got home I wanted to make something warm for our family camping out on the beach and give us all an energy boost. Considering it was the competition that birthed it, I think this soup is appropriately named.
All my ingredients are based on approximates because I was not measuring.
Supsquash Soup Recipe
- 1/2 a kabocha squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 onion, minced
- A butt load of chicken thighs (I used bone in, skin removed, roughly chopped)
- 1 1/2 - 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-2 inches fresh ginger, peeled & smashed
- 1/2 box chicken stock (around 16oz)
- 1/2-3/4 cup shoyu
- 3 whole cloves (and I mean cloves, not garlic)
- 2 star anise
- 1-2 good sized fresh orange peels
- Toss everything in a crock pot, making sure that the liquid just barely comes to up to, not over, the top
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or till chicken is cooked through